Predicting, skimming, scanning, and careful reading are four reading strategies. However, you also need to think about what you are reading. When you read thoughtfully, you ask yourself questions like these:
• What kind of text is this? Is it from a textbook, a magazine, or a website?
• Who wrote it? What do I know about this writer?
• Why is the writer telling me this?
• Is the writer giving facts, or does the text present the writer’s personal opinion?
• Can I trust the information contained in the text?
• How does this text compare to other things I have learned about the subject?
• How does it compare to my own experiences of the subject?
Answering questions like this will help you to become a more thoughtful reader. (by Tania Pattison)