fair trade フェアトレード
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ＿_ _
There is an exhibit about chocolate at the Nagoya Science Museum right know. How much do you know about one of the world’s best-loved sweets?
(1) Which part of the world does chocolate originally come from?
(2) Which came first, hot chocolate (the drink), or hard chocolate (the sweet)?
(3) When we drink hot chocolate, what two things do we add to the chocolate powder to make it creamy and sweet?
(4) Where does most of the world’s chocolate come from now?
(5) Why is it a good idea to buy fair trade chocolate?
(1) From Mexico (or Central America).
(2) The drink.
(3) Milk and sugar.
(4) 70% comes from Africa.
(5) Many children work on cacao plantations in Africa but don’t get paid. If you buy fair trade chocolate, you know that the work is done by adults who are paid, not by unpaid children. (by Prof. Douglas Jarrell)